Thursday, February 18, 2010

Our selectively porous borders
















The vile Ann Coulter is coming to Canada. And the Usual Suspects are pleased.


A while ago George Galloway was barred. I must admit I didn't lose much sleep over that little episode--he's a windy, self-loving sort, like some folks closer to home, and I don't much care for him--but maybe I should have. I got far more upset, in any event, about this and this and this and this and this.

I'm not arguing that the fearsome-looking racist, homophobic skank* person pictured above should be stopped at the border. Let her in by all means. Most of us will be spared her toxic bloviations in any case. Registration is required to listen to her, and I'm sure that suitable echo-chambers are even now being prepared. But I'd like to point out a few inconsistencies in the matter.

Galloway was blocked because he allegedly supported terrorism. Well, here are a few ripe quotations from Coulter:

My libertarian friends are probably getting a little upset now but I think that's because they never appreciate the benefits of local fascism.

I think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East and sending liberals to Guantanamo.

We should invade their [Muslim] countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.

You remember what a fabulous success court-ordered "desegregation" plans have been. Few failures have been more spectacular.

They're [Democrats] always accusing us of repressing their speech. I say let's do it. Let's repress them. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the First Amendment.

When we were fighting communism, OK, they had mass murderers and gulags, but they were white men and they were sane. Now we're up against absolutely insane savages.

I think our motto should be post-9-11, "raghead talks tough, raghead faces consequences." [This declaration prompted a boisterous ovation.]

"We need somebody to put rat poisoning in Justice Stevens' creme brulee," Coulter said. "That's just a joke, for you in the media."

No, we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say....

Vester: You say you'd rather not talk to liberals at all?
Coulter: I think a baseball bat is the most effective way these days.

My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times building.

So a racist, anti-Semitic homophobe, a self-declared supporter of fascism, torture and violence, gets to go on a Canadian speaking tour and be lionized by the Speech Warriors™, even though she's iffy on freedom of speech. No border difficulties for her, and a warm welcome awaits. Because, after all--she's conservative.

*UPDATE: The comment thread has been derailed by my use of this term, whose current meaning was not, alas, clear to me. Mea maxima culpa.

3 comments:

Dr.Dawg said...

And yet in this case, as in the case of Bush, I am not attempting biography, or even explanation.

zia said...

She's the coultergeist.

fergusrush said...

Sometimes it's better to use the Urban Dictionary first when using a derogatory word. Unless you have a young-ish one in the house who can roll their eyes when you use a word whose meaning may have, ah, drifted, shall we say. :-D I speak from painful experience.