Monday, February 15, 2010

Climate Roundup

Lots of interesting things going on in the world of climate and I thought I would give a brief update. Feel free to add your own in the comments.


My friend and sometimes co-blogger - John Cook - has an excellent site called Skeptical Science (Dr. Dawg has a link on the sidebar). However I will have to add another distinction to John, he is the first person I know to have turned their site into an app for the iphone or the ipod (do I have my technical jargon correct - I didn't even know what an ipod was until my daughter wanted one for Christmas). Check it out and if you are ever in a debate, make sure you have it with you.


In other climate related news, it appears that so far the sum total of the errors in the IPCC document are 2 (neither of which is in the scientific assessment). If anyone is interested in claiming that the document is full of errors, please show your work.


I have never been particularly interested in quotes offered up by the skeptics or the media since they all too often turn out to be inaccurate. However a quote that has been making the rounds is attributed to Sir John Houghton, who supposedly said 'Unless we announce disasters no one will listen'. The Independent actually does some research into this.


Finally, the most recent story making the rounds is an interview of Dr. Jones who says that there has been no statistically significant warming since 1995. Some have taken this to mean that warming stopped in 1995, but the key is the idea of it being statistically significant. If you are interested in the statistics of this, Tamino has an excellent post. The key graphic is the one shown below. The black line is the trend and the red lines are the confidence intervals. As you can see in 1995 the lower redline just crosses the zero. An excellent read if you like statistics.












Like I said - feel free to add your own in the comments.

No comments: